We have a duty of care to a young person. In our work relationship, the best interests of the young person have priority.
We prioritise young person over the advancement of ourselves, our organisation, or others – personally, politically, or professionally.
Our relationship with the young person remains within professional boundaries at all times, to protect the young person and the purpose of the work.
We work in a fair and inclusive way, actively promoting justice and equality of opportunity across intersectional identities. We prevent any discriminatory or oppressive behaviour or practice, and actively challenge privilege, heteronormativity and Gender-Related Violence.
We seek to enhance young people’s personal and social development needs by:
- Supporting young LGBT+ person to develop a sense of belonging and community;
- Supporting active involvement in the LGBT+ community and broader society;
- Educating young person on LGBT+ history, heritage and arts;
- Educating the young person to make informed decisions and independent choices;
- Inspiring participation and co-design of Mosaic LGBT Youth Centre’s services;
- Inspiring independence and supporting ‘growing out’ of the service;
- Inspiring young person’s consideration of the environmental impact of their choices;
- Inspiring young person to be socially active and be an advocate for social justice.
We promote the welfare and safety of all young persons while facilitating learning through undertaking challenging educational activities while managing young persons’ exposure to harm or injury. This includes implementing safeguarding policies and procedures.
We make the young person aware of with whom and for what purpose information will be shared. We only disclose confidential information when this is necessary to prevent harm or is legally required.
In our engagement with the young person and our resulting relationship, we strive to be honest, kind and empathic.
We respect the contribution of others concerned with the welfare and well-being of a young person and will work in partnership to secure the best possible outcome.
We encourage ethical reflection and debate with young persons, colleagues and partners to strive for improvement.
We make sure we have the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to work effectively with the young person. We work reflectively to develop our abilities. We take account of the impact of work on ourselves.
We maintain consciousness of our values, beliefs and interests, are aware when these conflict with those of others, and approach difference respectfully.
We consider the broader impact our decisions on society and try to maximise a positive impact wherever possible in all operations of the organisation.